Monday, July 26, 2010

This is a question on black powder rifles.?

I am looking into buying a new mussle loading rifle. I want to know should I buy one of the new(er) model In-lines or go with something like a Saint Louis Hawkens or a Missori Ranger? Are In-lines just a fad or is that the direction that Mussle loaders are heading?This is a question on black powder rifles.?
Depends if you want a modern hunter that has a lot of modern convienience, or you want to be very traditional.





If you plan on hunting a lot, get the modern muzzle loader.





If you want to target shoot and have a functional historical replica, get the more traditional one.This is a question on black powder rifles.?
a fad... you can't be serious and it's spelled muzzle that why there's a spell check button and yes that's the direction it's going and has been going if you want to deal with older muzzle loaders that's fine I mean I love the feel of them and how they shoot but you can't beat a modern in-line so if you want a practical easy to care for gun go with a modern in-line
This question is a matter of choice, and since you are the on that has to be satisfied, it's your choice.


If you get the bolt action in line, then you are shooting a substitute powder, usually in pellet form.


I wanted to get into Black powder guns for hunting about ten years back, and because of limited income. (being retired) I looked for something that would be sufficient, cheap and yet do the job of bringing down a deer.


After looking around, I found a CVA, cap and ball rifle which today sells for under $100.00.


I took this gun to the Black Powder shop, had a scope intalled, and followed their advise as to powder load, and projectile. I use a 275 grain minnie ball with 90 grains of real black powder, and have yet to lose a deer. It also hold a group of less than 2'; at 100 yards, bench rest of course.


MY next purchase was a .32 cal black powder, ';traditions'; rifle for squirrel, 25 grains of fff with .015 patch and round ball, deadly accurate and cheap to shoot.


In lines. depending on the game you hunt could very well be your best choice as they can be loaded to near magnum loads, for elk, mule deer and western hunting which call for real long shots.
In-lines are not a fad!! They are the weapon of choice for deer hunting in shotgun only zones here in MI. The best has to be the Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter. Not only for it's accuracy, changable barrels, and comfort, but it's design makes it so easy to clean. Trust me, cleaning a muzzle-loader is something you'll do often. They are messy, no matter what type of powder you use. The pro-hunter is expensive $700+, don't forget the old saying you get what you pay for. I'm not saying that's the only choice. The Omega , G2 Contender, and the Triumph are just as good. I still own a .50 cal. Black Diamond XR that's been shot at least 250 times and can still group at 150 yards. Other manufacturers are CVA, Traditions, Knight, Remington, Lyman, Winchester. Someone makes one in your budget and style that you'll like just lean toward one that ';breaks'; open for easy cleaning. Hope I helped, happy hunting!!!
Well, I'll have to be honest with you!





I prefer the old hammer style, because I want to keep it original, and not stray from the way the pioneers done it, many moons ago!





The Mountain rifle I own, is a CVA Lone Wolf - .50 Caliber.


With open sights.





I filled my first muzzleloading tag with it.


There was fresh snow on the ground, I spooked some deer, and they went up a draw, and cut across a little stream, well, I went around from the other side up an old logging road, and as I neared the end of the draw, I looked across the stream, and there stood a nice deer, looking head on at me, and square in the eye, at about forty to fifty yards away, I did'nt have much of a target, I did'nt have much of a choice, so I loaded the cap on, ****** the hammer back, and knelt down behind a hump of earth directly in front of me, aimed right for the deers brisket, and drilled that rascal right through the brisket, taking out its heart, the deer went thirty yards and it was done.





The CVA .50 Caliber has since taken many deer for me, and I would'nt trade it for all the guns available today!





Now In-lines are nice and easy to use, but it just seems like they take the challenge out of the hunt, and so, that's why I stick with the old traditional style, hammer lock!





Everyone must make their own choices, and everyone is different, so I'll leave the choice up to you, just thought I would share with you though, that it's not necessarily the type you use but what works best for you, as it is in my case, the CVA .50.





Good luck, and Happy hunting!
it is not mussy. it is a muzzle loader
It depends on what you want out of it. Some people want to use all the latest gadgets so they're doing essentially the same thing as in the regular season. I'm sticking with my Hawken. To me, the season is about a little trip back in time.
check the hunting laws re black power hunting...some locations do not permit in-line rifles.
Personaly, I don't like inlines, I prefer ones with more classical designs. (If you only shot targets, I see very little point to inlines!) I'm assuming you are asking for hunting, in that case an inline would probably be better!
In line muzzle loaders have been around for several years now and have become a strong segment because they are acurate, reliable, and easier to use than older models. I hunt in Illinios which is a shotgun/ muzzleloader only state during deer season. I bought a .45 cal and also use it to take longer shots in Missouri during rifle season. It is extremely accurate (especially after you find the right load) and easy to clean and maintain. Using 209 shotgun primers and triple seven, I have never had a misfire.. I know for a fact that many people in Shotgun/Muzzleloader states have switched to them because they are more accurate than a lot of slug guns. There will always be traditionalists that don't like them but there are also a lot of people like me that would never have been interested in muzzle loading until in-lines came out. It's really your choice and depends on what you're wanting to get out of the gun. You can't go wrong either way, but inlines are definitely not a fad.

No comments:

Post a Comment