Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Knight Wolverine black powder rifle shoots 100 grains of powder, not 150, right?

It's been a long time since I shot this one.A Knight Wolverine black powder rifle shoots 100 grains of powder, not 150, right?
I have the same rifle and us 100 grains. I found when I started going up in powder charges, recoil increased, accuracy stayed the same or got worse. I just use 100 grains of loose powder for everything now. I am intrested in trying the new Triple 7 pellets. They are supposed to give you more velocity and energy.A Knight Wolverine black powder rifle shoots 100 grains of powder, not 150, right?
You didn't say what caliber your rifle is but I would suspect that it is a .50 calilber. I shoot a .50 caliber and use between 80 and 100 grains of ffG powder depending on the distance I expect to be shooting. 80 for heavy woods and 100 for open fields. I have never run into a situation where I thought 150 grains was needed. Thats LOT of powder and a lot more recoil than you really need. If you are using the premeasured pellets, I would just use two of them. Be sure to take your gun to the range to check the sights and see where 100 grains is putting the bullet before going to the woods.
I have a 50 cal TCA, it will take 150 grains but I only use 100 grains and it shoots just fine. Four deer over the last 3 years and they have all dropped in their tracks. I would go to 150 grains if I was hunting elk or bear, but for whitetail 100 grains is plenty.
Most black powder rifles ( .50 caliber ) will shoot well with 100 grains of powder. Mine does, with patched round ball ammo. That is a strong enough load to do some hunting with. 150 grains would be pushing it. I wouldn't ever go more than 120 grains in any black powder rifle. Check the manufacturer's web site to verify. A mistake with any gun is not something you want to deal with.
I have a Thompson Center Encore and I use 150 grains of powder with a 295 gr. PowerBelt bullet. It really shoots well with a 3 inch group at 200 yds. It does however produce extreme amounts of recoil, but with a limbsaver pad this is not felt as readily. Use what groups the best out of your particular gun. I used to shoot 100gr. with a 185 gr. bullet, and it shot well. Every muzzeloader is different though.

No comments:

Post a Comment