Monday, August 23, 2010

I have a traditions 50 cal black powder gun. for turkey hunting how many bb's do you put in the barrel?and ...?

and do you use the same amout of pyrodex as you would with a slug.I have a traditions 50 cal black powder gun. for turkey hunting how many bb's do you put in the barrel?and ...?
While in a pinch or a survival situation one could use a muzzle-loading rifle as a shotgun, it is not recommended. You could however use a musket or a muzzle loading shotgun for your project. You need to find a shot scoop that measures the volume of shot and not worry about the number of pellets. You'll also need over powder and over shot cards to keep everything in place in the barrel.I have a traditions 50 cal black powder gun. for turkey hunting how many bb's do you put in the barrel?and ...?
I began wondering about using my black powder as a multiuse platform about three years ago. I did some checking online, went to the library, and asked questions at a civil war reenactment. I found some info about how some settlers would take lead shot and use it in their muzzle loaders for taking pheasant and quail. To mimic those loads I went and got some 44 caliber sabots. I then got some 44 caliber shot shell cases. Load the shot case with 6 or 4 shot, place it in the sabot and set it on a 50 grain piece of Pyrodex. It works on squirrels, sitting ducks, and sitting pheasant. I even got three quail while they were sitting under a tree.





As for the disclaimer this is a project I did on my own and not something that I would say is an accepted practice or something I would say is ok for others to do. I'm just relating one of my own experiences here.
Some people don't know what they're talking about. You're NOT going to blow yourself up !





You aren't going to get very good patterns though.





1 1/2, 2 ounces of shot.





Powder wise, I'm not sure. Someone else would have to answer that part.
Around 1.5 ounces of BB, but the pattern will be garbage. As for powder an easy way is to use the same volume as the volume of shot. Not very exact but it will be safe and have shotgun penetration.
If you don't use a sabot of some kind and just back them into a rifled barrel you're going to get a donut pattern on just about anything you shoot at distance. Don't get hurt.
You need a black powder shot gun. I would not use a 50 cal as a shot gun. You may find yourself getting blown up.
Ha! You don't put BBs in a .50 caliber black powder rifle!
You don't put BB's in a muzzle loading rifle.
  • oil acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment