Monday, August 23, 2010

Black Powder 209 or 11 primers?

Any advantages one over the other? It seems that I can get a no.11 gun cheaper than a 209. I currently have a 50 cal. that uses a 209 primer, but I have never fooled with the no. 11's.Black Powder 209 or 11 primers?
209's are much more reliable, they have a hotter flame. If you are the type of guy to leave a charge in the barrel for a few days it may accumulate moisture and be difficult to ignight with #11 caps. 209's have no problem with this.





I'd recommend 209's either way since thats pretty much the direction most manufacturers are going with their new models.Black Powder 209 or 11 primers?
Bound's hubby here:





While I would lean toward the shotgun 209 primer to ignite black powder, which seems to be the newest trend ... the #11 cap has an advantage.





With the current potential trend of trying to legislate more gun control, or gun control through attacking our ammunition ... the cap can be rather easily fabricated unlike the 209 primer. Back in the '60s and '70s, I remember a small device advertised in the American Rifleman and other gun magazines, that allowed you to use ';Reynold's Wrap'; or other aluminum foil and roll caps you would use in a child's cap gun. If I were in the market for a blackpowder rifle, I would purchase a rifle where the ignition system were interchangeable!





Good luck!
Supposedly, the 209 primers burn hotter and make for a quicker ignition. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference between the two.





I disagree with johndeere in that the #11 caps have always been MUCH easier to find for me, and they're also usually less expensive.
the 209 is the better primer its not going to fowl out and $2.50 to$3.00 is not bad for 100 shots come on
The 209's are easier to work with unless you can use a capper.Also, the 209's are probably easier to find in shops.
i would go with the 209
Stick with the 209s. They are larger and easier to handle and they produce a hotter ignition which will ignite your powder charge best. The No. 11s offer no advantage over the 209s. I have not checked prices but they should be similar in price. Even so, unless you shoot an awful lot like I do, the price of the primers is not a factor worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment