Monday, August 23, 2010

Black powder velocity?

I just bought a .36 caliber black powder pistol and I am trying to find the ballistics on it. I know that its hard to get an accurate ballistics chart built on one of these guns since so many factors can alter its over all effectiveness. I am just looking for an average fps on the ball. Any help would be great. Oh I also tried chronographing the gun, but until I get my loads down accurately I cant set the chronograph out far enough to get and accurate fps on the ball without shooting the machine. Any help would be great.Black powder velocity?
To measure velocity in fps, we would need to know bullet weight, powder charge, and barrel length, just to name a few things.





My suggestion to you is, get a Dixie Gunworks catalog, and they have the various velocities recorded on charts for different types of firearms, calibers, and powder charges. It's one of the best sources of information out there for black powder.





That would be my best answer for you.Black powder velocity?
I suggest you get your load down accurately first. What make is your revolver? Why are the ballistics necessary for you at this time...you just purchased the weapon for God's sake. Suggestion are to return to the gun shop where you bought it, ask about the fps on the gun, get referred to a range perhaps and do some measuring there with an expert. That's all I can suggest for now... unless you get some other professional advice.
Try www.hodgdon.com/pyrodex





You should be getting between 600 and 800 fps out of the gun. I am not all that familiar with this gun or powder but I think that, for this caliber, 22 grains of Pyrodex is a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment